Pakistan: NSC terms Nawaz’s statement on Mumbai carnage ‘incorrect and misleading’

A statement issued after the 22nd meeting of Pakistan’s National Security Council (NSC) held this morning under the chairmanship of Prime Minister Shahid Khaqan Abbasi says: “The meeting reviewed the recent statement in the context of Mumbai attacks, as it appeared in the Daily Dawn of 12th May 2018, and unanimously termed this statement as incorrect and misleading.”

Presided over by Prime Minister Abbasi, the NSC meeting was attended by Defence and Foreign Minister Khurram Dastgir, Finance Minister Miftah Ismail, Foreign Secretary Tehmina Janjua, National Security Adviser Retired Lt General Nasser Khan Janjua, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Zubair Hayat, the director generals of Inter-Services Intelligence and Military Intelligence, and the three services chiefs.

“The participants observed that it was very unfortunate that the opinion arising out of either misconceptions or grievances was being presented in disregard of concrete facts and realities. The participants unanimously rejected the allegations and condemned the fallacious assertions,” the statement reads.

The 22nd meeting of the NSC, Pakistan’s top civil-military body, was held on Monday at the PM’s residence to discuss the situation arising out of the recent remarks of PML-N supreme leader and deposed Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif about the 2008 Mumbai attacks.

The remarks by deposed PM Nawaz Sharif regarding the deadly Mumbai attacks have sparked controversies forcing the country’s National Security Concil to convene a meeting in response to the remarks in what they believe have been misinterpreted.

In an exclusive interview published on Saturday, the deposed PM, inter alia, said: “Militant organisations are active. Call them non-state actors, should we allow them to cross the border and kill 150 people in Mumbai? Explain it to me. Why can’t we complete the trial?” — a reference to the Mumbai attacks-related trials which have stalled in a Rawalpindi anti-terrorism court.

At least 164 people have been killed and 308 others injured in the deadly attacks by 10 militants belonging to the Laskar e Toiba, a Pakistan bases terrorist outfit, on 26 November 2008

Criticising the country’s foreign policy, Sharif had added: “We have isolated ourselves. Despite giving sacrifices, our narrative is not being accepted. Afghanistan’s narrative is being accepted, but ours is not. We must look into it.”

After the NSC meeting, Abbasi met Sharif, who earlier in the day during a chat with reporters read excerpts from his interview to Dawn and dispelled the notion that the comments were falsely attributed to him. “Will speak the truth come what may,” he said. “What did I say that was wrong in the interview?”

During the meeting that lasted nearly 30 minutes, Abbasi briefed Sharif about the discussions held during the NSC meeting and conveyed to him the concerns of the military leadership over Sharif’s remarks regarding the Mumbai attacks.

In a message on Twitter, the DG ISPR said: “NSC meeting suggested to Prime Minister [Shahid Khaqan Abbasi] to discuss recent misleading media statement regarding Bombay incident. Being held tomorrow morning.”

Share the story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *