The Governor of Tripura, Tathagata Roy has reconstituted the Advisory Committee for Development of Chakma language in the state under the Chairmanship of Sambhulal Chakma, Member of Legislative Assembly. The notification was issued in this regard by the Directorate of Kokborok and Other Minority Languages, Government of Tripura on 27 April.
The ethnic Chakma tribals of Tripura have been demanding introduction of the Chakma language in Chakma script in schools and its development.
As per the notification, the functions of the Advisory Committee are as follows:
1) To advise the state government in the matter of development of the Chakma language.
2) To advise the state government in the matters relating to use of Chakma language in education
3) To advise the state government in preparation of curriculum, syllabus, grammar, dictionary, text books, etc for Chakma language.
4) To advise on any other aspects relating to or relevant for the purpose of promotion of Chakma language in Chakma populated areas.
Education Minister Ratan Lal Nath and Social Welfare Minister Santana Chakma are the Patrons in the Advisory Committee.
Besides the Chairman, the Advisory Committee has 13 members. It has also six special invitees, including Sandhya Rani Chakma, Executive Member, Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC), Tushar Kanti Chakma (IAS), Pratap Chakma (IAS), and Tarit Kanti Chakma (IAS).
(Photo/ Courtesy: Directorate of Kokborok and Other Minority Languages, Tripura Govt)
Latest posts by Adish Chakma (see all)
- Dalit man beaten to death in Gujarat - 21/05/2018
- Nagaland: Students’ body announces abstinence from voting in Lok Sabha elections - 20/05/2018
- Cow vigilantism claims another life - 20/05/2018